Get Help

Families are placed in our shelter units through the Department of Transitional Assistance. If you need shelter immediately, please refer to the information below.


If you are homeless and already receiving TAFDC, please contact your case worker to determine eligibility for Emergency Assistance Family Shelter. Otherwise, please contact your local DTA Office.

Find your DTA office


Shelters for individuals and couples without children provide beds on a first come, first served basis. The Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless keeps an up-to-date list of all shelters in the state. Individuals should call the shelter directly to check availability.

Find available shelters


The following list of shelters generally offers temporary shelter to youths 12 to 17 years old. Please review the qualifications carefully to make sure you are eligible for the shelter and if you need a referral to enter the shelter.

Find available shelters

Victims of Domestic Violence

All shelters  for domestic violence survivors have 24-hour hotlines, and generally accept only women who are in imminent danger. Often, they will refer women to a “Safe House” outside of her own community.

Domestic violence shelters

Partner Agencies

Housing stability is so much more than having shelter. In addition to our many services, Housing Families works with other nonprofits in Massachusetts to connect families to additional services and resources that are helpful during a time of instability.

Food Assistance

Food pantry: Bread of Life,  Project Bread

Food stamp applications:

Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance 

Food assistance for mothers:

Women/Infant/Children (WIC)* – 1-800-942-1007


* Eligibility is low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are at nutritional risk.
Energy assistance

Energy Assistance

Heat assistance: Citizens Energy

Fuel assistance and other utilities:

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) 

Utilities arrearage:

Arrearage Management Programs (AMPs); or contact your local utility provider

Career & Education

Career centers: Labor and Workforce Development

College scholarships: One Family*

Job search: Career Collaborative 


*Eligibility is homeless and formerly homeless mothers.

Child Care

Resources and referral agencies:

Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care

Child care: Horizons for Homeless Children*


*Eligibility is homeless children and their families

Domestic Violence

Statewide domestic violence line through Casa Myrna Vasquez

(877) 785-2020

Other Resources