Homelessness Prevention and Legal Services
Jayna Stafford, Esq.
Role Purpose & Responsibilities
The Rapid Re-Housing Advocate reports directly to HPLSP Operations Manager. The Rapid Re-Housing Advocate maintains a caseload, works with the team to identify wrap-around supports and ensures the smooth and efficient delivery of services within the Homelessness Prevention and Legal Services Program.
- Ensure families served are treated with dignity and respect. Work with case managers to address families’ unique needs and issues while working toward obtaining permanent housing.
- Conducts intake, provide referrals and coordinate with partner agencies to ensure complete access to available resources for all clients
- Ensure all services are provided in compliance with the various funding sources.
- Provide advocacy to clients in the following areas: Including but not limited to housing denials and terminations and access to mainstream resources.
- Assist clients with coordination of available public benefits and assist with the application processes for such benefits.
- Assist with applications for public housing, subsidized housing, and housing lotteries.
- Assist with the housing search process, including identifying potential rooms and apartments.
- Conduct rental/mortgage arrearage counseling for various financial resources when available and if applicable for eligible clients.
- Work with case managers to support families in mitigating any barriers to permanent housing that the families may have.
- Participate in intra-agency meetings designed to address client/case management or staffing issues.
- Enter and update information on clients served, in internal databases, in a timely fashion, meeting all mandatory deadlines.
- Complete all reports in a timely manner and ensure that guidelines and outcomes are consistent and accurate.
- Maintain effective working relationships to ensure proper delivery of services and safe settings for families. This includes effective communication and collaboration internally and with outside agencies such as social services.
- Communicate all family crises and staff issues to Director or Associate Director.
- Manage/utilize resources efficiently and within the program budget.
- Manage crises as they arise, and other duties as assigned.
- Must have experience working directly with clients in the human services field.
- Must have excellent organizational skills to manage ongoing projects concurrently with the flexibility to manage frequent changes, and excellent communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn new software and tracking systems.
- Working knowledge of the impact of trauma, homelessness, and Motivational Interviewing.
- Fluent Spanish and/or Haitian Creole a plus.
- Must be willing to work in the Chelsea and Malden areas and be able to get to various sites around Chelsea, Malden, and the surrounding area
- Must be willing to work 9am – 5pm Monday through Friday mainly onsite with some flexibility needed for after-hour emergencies.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds at a time walking up and down flights of stairs.
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time at a desk while working on a computer.
Ability to hear, seek and incorporate feedback. Skilled in empathically de-escalating emotional reactions. Critical and analytical thinking, problem solving, and negotiating skills. Ability to remain calm and responsive during crisis. Ability to practice clear role boundaries and refer questions and concerns outside job scope to appropriate staff. A positive and willing attitude. Flexible and adaptable to changes. Detailed, thoughtful, and thorough. Ability to lead by example.
- Compensation/Hours: Hours are 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday with some flexibility required. This is a non-exempt position with a minimum salary of $45,000/year.
- Benefits: Eligible for full benefits including Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, 403B Retirement Plan, Paid Time Off, and a Tuition Reimbursement Program.
- Please send a cover letter and resume to: HR@housingfamilies.org
- Please include “Rapid Re-Housing Advocate, HPLSP” in the subject line.