Malden with local travel
At Housing Families, we are working to achieve housing equity and wellbeing for all. We partner with communities, families, and individuals to ensure housing stability by offering tailored services including temporary and permanent housing, food assistance, counseling and therapy, legal services, and youth programs.
With Housing Families’ continued growth, we now offer services in Malden, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, and Medford, where, since our inception in 1986, we’ve strengthened housing security for over 2,400 families and individuals.
We are looking for those who share in this vision and for skilled, compassionate individuals who share in our agency values of Respect, Caring, Integrity, Growth, and Team Work:
- Respect – We treat people with dignity.
- Caring – We show compassion and act thoughtfully.
- Integrity – We adhere to high standards.
- Growth – We foster innovation and continuous development.
- Team Work – We collaborate and celebrate.
Role Purpose & Responsibilities
The full-time Janitor/Maintenance Technician, (M-F 9-5pm) reports directly to the Maintenance Superintendent. Under the supervision of the Maintenance Superintendent, provides preventive and ongoing maintenance services for 170 units located in scattered locations throughout Malden, Medford, Everett, and Revere. Does general repairs such as patching walls, painting, hanging shelves, landscaping, grounds cleaning and makes repairs and inspections of equipment.
- Ability to perform various maintenance and clean-up task as needed
- Ability to interact professionally with people of diverse backgrounds
- Good verbal communication skills; second language abilities a plus!
- Strong customer service presentation
- Ability to access a car and have a valid drivers license.
- Ability to manage and complete tasks on a timely manner as scheduled
- Ability to communicate effectively over the phone and in writing as needed
- Ability to maintain a positive work environment
- Ability to remain calm and professional
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Ability to maintain strict professional relationship with residents
- Ability to plan, organize and think independently; must be detail oriented
- Ability to follow guidelines on confidentiality, safety, handling emergencies, etc.
- Have familiarity with neighborhoods in the greater Malden area
- Participates in the On-Call rotation
- Meet with supervisor weekly to review work orders, identify issues and concerns, and receive feedback and support.
- Participate in intra-agency meetings as needed
- Work with staff and residents to ensure that units and each facility is maintained in a clean, safe and attractive manner.
- Follow all agency and mandated guidelines related to security, safety and confidentiality
- Perform other related duties as needed or as directed.
- Responsible for unit turnovers as directed by supervisor (i.e. scheduling maintenance, conducting and scheduling inspection)
Qualifications / Requirements
- Minimum of 2 years previous experience in property management janitorial, maintenance, or related field
- No specific level of education is required. However, for safety and productivity reasons the position requires the ability to read and write English.
- The ability to accurately perform basic mathematical functions.
- Must be able to diagnose problems with and repair the following:
- Major appliances
- Basic intermediate plumbing
- Basic intermediate electrical (when no license required)
- General carpentry
- General hardware repairs/installation
- Roofs and gutters
- Foundation/sidewalk repairs
- Ice/snow removal
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org