Malden with travel
At Housing Families, we are working to achieve housing equity and wellbeing for all. We partner with communities, families, and individuals to ensure housing stability by offering tailored services including temporary and permanent housing, food assistance, counseling and therapy, legal services, and youth programs.
With Housing Families’ continued growth, we now offer services in Malden, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, and Medford, where, since our inception in 1986, we’ve strengthened housing security for over 2,400 families and individuals.
We are looking for those who share in this vision and for skilled, compassionate individuals who share in our agency values of Respect, Caring, Integrity, Growth, and Team Work:
- Respect – We treat people with dignity.
- Caring – We show compassion and act thoughtfully.
- Integrity – We adhere to high standards.
- Growth – We foster innovation and continuous development.
- Team Work – We collaborate and celebrate.
Role Purpose & Responsibilities
The Housing Specialist will work directly with families experiencing homeless to locate and secure safe, affordable, permanent housing.
- Ensure all families are served and treated with dignity and respect.
- Ensure all services are provided in compliance with various funding sources.
- Ensure accurate records are maintained for all clients.
- Thoroughly assess families’ strengths and barriers to obtaining permanent housing and develop a housing strategy that incorporates means of mitigating any barriers to permanent housing.
- Partner with families to create, review, and enforce a Re-housing Plan that reflects the goals of the family and funder, and that addresses each family member’s needs.
- Assist families in completing housing applications and ensuring that all preferences and priorities are obtained.
- Attend housing screenings and appeals with families, providing transportation when necessary.
- Complete all necessary paperwork and documentation needed to be in compliance with program requirements and state regulations.
- Manage crises as they arise, and other duties as assigned.
- Participate in All Staff meetings and other identified trainings and meetings.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Experience working directly with clients in the human services field.
- The ability to hear and incorporate feedback quickly, empathically de-escalate emotional reactions and think critically.
- Strong assessment, problem solving and negotiating skills
- The ability to remain calm and responsive during crisis.
- A positive attitude with the ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes.
- Attention to detail.
- Compelling advocacy skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse team and population.
- Working knowledge of the impact of trauma, homelessness, and Motivational Interviewing.
- Working knowledge of various housing options in the state of Massachusetts.
- Fluent in English
- Bilingual Spanish or Haitian Creole a plus.
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel in the Greater Boston area and commute families to critical housing appointments when necessary
- Must be willing to work 40 hours per week, and adapt schedule to meet the needs of families
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Ability to form strong interpersonal relationships with people from diverse backgrounds (staff, clients, etc.)
- Must be able to pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) background check
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds at a time walking up and down flights of stairs.
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time at a desk while working on a computer.
Applications / Compensation
- This is a full time, non-exempt position with hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm with some flexibility.
- Starting salary is $24.04/hour.
- Benefits: Eligible for full benefits including Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, 403B Retirement Plan, Paid Time Off, and a Tuition Reimbursement Program.
- Please send a cover letter and resume to: HR@housingfamilies.org
- Please include “Housing Specialist” in the subject line.