Laura Rosi, Esq., CEO
At Housing Families, we are working to achieve housing equity and wellbeing for all. We partner with communities, families, and individuals to ensure housing stability by offering tailored services including temporary and permanent housing, food assistance, counseling and therapy, legal services, and youth programs.
With Housing Families’ continued growth, we now offer services in Malden, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, and Medford, where, since our inception in 1986, we’ve strengthened housing security for over 2,400 families and individuals.
We are looking for those who share in this vision and for skilled, compassionate individuals who share in our agency values of Respect, Caring, Integrity, Growth, and Team Work:
- Respect – We treat people with dignity.
- Caring – We show compassion and act thoughtfully.
- Integrity – We adhere to high standards.
- Growth – We foster innovation and continuous development.
- Team Work – We collaborate and celebrate.
Role Purpose & Responsibilities
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of Housing Families, a non-profit organization with a budget of $9 million and 72 employees. The Controller is responsible for overseeing the smooth process of all accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and grants and contracts management. The Controller will ensure that the Housing Families, Inc. has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program directors and staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
- Planning, directing, and managing all accounting operational functions
- Monitor and analyze accounting data and produce financial reports or statements
- Review financial information monthly with the CEO and Senior Leadership team
- Assist in maintaining proper accounting methods, policies, and principles
- Organize and coordinate all audit activities
- Evaluate accounting and internal control systems
- Assess current accounting operations, offer recommendations for improvement, and implement new processes
- Hire, train and retain skilled accounting staff
- Assign projects and direct staff to ensure compliance and accuracy
- Meet financial accounting objectives
- Establish and maintain fiscal files and records to document transactions
- Provide oversight and supervision for all Finance staff.
- Works on special projects as assigned
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government contracts and requirements for reporting and invoicing.
- Supervise Housing Families’ Finance Assistant and other external financial consultants when necessary.
- BS in Accounting (advanced degree preferred) and a minimum of ten years accounting experience, or equivalent. Minimum of three years supervisory experience
- Solid analytical skills, organized, strong leadership and accounting skills
- Thorough understanding of GAAP and Uniform Guidance 2 CFR Part 200
- Experience with financial management of non-profit settings required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficient in financial management software specifically Sage Intacct
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software
- Experience working with Federal and City contracts and/or grant management
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift to 15 pounds at times.
- Compensation/Hours: $100,000 – $120,000 / Full-Time Salaried Role
- Benefits: Medical, Dental and Retirement Plan
- Please send a cover letter and resume to: HR@housingfamilies.org
- Please include “Controller” in the subject line.