Malden with local travel
At Housing Families, we are working to achieve housing equity and wellbeing for all. We partner with communities, families, and individuals to ensure housing stability by offering tailored services including temporary and permanent housing, food assistance, counseling and therapy, legal services, and youth programs.
With Housing Families’ continued growth, we now offer services in Malden, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, and Medford, where, since our inception in 1986, we’ve strengthened housing security for over 2,400 families and individuals.
We are looking for those who share in this vision and for skilled, compassionate individuals who share in our agency values of Respect, Caring, Integrity, Growth, and Team Work:
- Respect – We treat people with dignity.
- Caring – We show compassion and act thoughtfully.
- Integrity – We adhere to high standards.
- Growth – We foster innovation and continuous development.
- Team Work – We collaborate and celebrate.
Role Purpose & Responsibilities
The Rapid Rehousing Specialist will work in collaboration with the Homelessness Prevention and Housing Teams in administering Housing families’ Rapid Rehousing Program. The Rapid Rehousing Specialist will work with families and individuals in Malden and the surrounding towns who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to identify and obtain permanent housing as quickly as possible. They will accomplish this by providing thorough housing assessment, collaborating with clients in creating and implementing rehousing plans, assisting the clients in the mitigation of housing barriers and connecting them to resources to ensure tenancy stability.
- Thoroughly assess families’ strengths and barriers to obtaining permanent housing and develop a housing strategy that incorporates means of mitigating any barriers to permanent housing.
- Partner with families and individuals to create, review, and enforce a Re-housing Plan that reflects their housing goals.
- Assist families and individuals in completing housing applications and ensuring that all preferences and priorities are obtained.
- Attend housing screenings and appeals with families and individuals, providing transportation when necessary.
- Build partnerships with local landlords and develop an internal network of available housing units.
- Assist in the administering of rapid rehousing funds.
- Partner with case managers and other providers to ensure
- Complete all necessary paperwork and documentation needed to be in compliance with program requirements and state regulations.
- Support agency by volunteering for agency events.
- All other assigned duties as they arise.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Prior experience working in a housing case manager, housing advocate, or other related position.
- Strong working knowledge of housing, public benefits, and other resources in the State of Massachusetts.
- Prior experience working with low-income individuals and/or families required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent communication and engagement skills.
- Attention to detail and time management.
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel in the Greater Boston area and commute families to critical housing appointments when necessary.
- Must be willing to work 40 hours per week and adapt schedule to meet the needs of families and individuals.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Preference given to bilingual candidates.
Must be able to hear and incorporate feedback quickly; ability to empathically de-escalate emotional reactions; critical thinking, assessment, problem solving and negotiating skills; ability to remain calm and responsive during crisis. A positive, “can do” attitude is needed along with the ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes. Detailed, thoughtful, and thorough; compelling advocacy skills; ability to work with a diverse team and population.
Applications / Compensation
- Interested candidate must submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Rapid Rehousing Specialist” in the subject line.