Malden with local travel
At Housing Families, we are working to achieve housing equity and wellbeing for all. We partner with communities, families, and individuals to ensure housing stability by offering tailored services including temporary and permanent housing, food assistance, counseling and therapy, legal services, and youth programs.
With Housing Families’ continued growth, we now offer services in Malden, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, and Medford, where, since our inception in 1986, we’ve strengthened housing security for over 2,400 families and individuals.
We are looking for those who share in this vision and for skilled, compassionate individuals who share in our agency values of Respect, Caring, Integrity, Growth, and Team Work:
- Respect – We treat people with dignity.
- Caring – We show compassion and act thoughtfully.
- Integrity – We adhere to high standards.
- Growth – We foster innovation and continuous development.
- Team Work – We collaborate and celebrate.
Role Purpose & Responsibilities
The Housing Case Manager will report directly to the Shelter Program Manager. The Housing Case Manager will be responsible for helping families experiencing homelessness, develop housing strategies for obtaining permanent housing and connecting families to necessary supports to increase stability. This is done through building a relationship with adult family members, thoroughly assessing their strengths and barriers to obtaining housing, collaborating with each family to minimize barriers to housing, searching for housing, and advocating for families. The case manager will play a key role in assisting the agency in meeting specific housing goals to satisfy our funding source requirements.
- Develop relationships with families who are homeless and facing issues such as mental illness, substance abuse, and physical disability, history of trauma and/or domestic violence, and poverty.
- Tasks will include meeting weekly with each family, completing thorough assessments, providing support and referrals as well as ensuring regular contact with other services providers.
- Thoroughly assess families’ strengths and barriers to obtaining permanent housing, and develop a housing strategy that incorporates means of mitigating any barriers to permanent housing.
- Partner with families to create, review, and enforce a Re-housing Plan that reflects the goals of the family and funder, and that addresses each family member’s needs.
- Assist families in completing housing applications and ensuring that all preferences and priorities are obtained.
- Attend housing screenings and appeals with families, providing transportation when necessary.
- Conduct weekly unit inspections to ensure the property is being maintained.
- Partake in rotating on-call requirements.
- Complete all necessary paperwork and documentation needed to be in compliance with program requirements and state regulations.
- Support agency by volunteering for agency events.
- All other assigned duties as they arise.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelors’ degree in psychology, social work, public health or related field preferred.
- Equivalent combination of formal education and related experience may be substituted for degree.
- Prior experience working with low-income individuals and/or families required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent communication and engagement skills.
- Attention to detail and time management.
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel in the Greater Boston area and commute families to critical housing appointments when necessary
- Must be willing to work 40 hours per week, and adapt schedule to meet the needs of families
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
Must be able to hear and incorporate feedback quickly; ability to empathically de-escalate emotional reactions; critical thinking, assessment, problem solving and negotiating skills; ability to remain calm and responsive during crisis. A positive, “can do” attitude is needed along with the ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes. Detailed, thoughtful, and thorough; compelling advocacy skills; ability to work with a diverse team and population.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.