At Housing Families, we are working to achieve housing equity and wellbeing for all. We partner with communities, families, and individuals to ensure housing stability by offering tailored services including temporary and permanent housing, food assistance, counseling and therapy, legal services, and youth programs.
With Housing Families’ continued growth, we now offer services in Malden, Everett, Revere, Chelsea, and Medford, where, since our inception in 1986, we’ve strengthened housing security for over 2,400 families and individuals.
We are looking for those who share in this vision and for skilled, compassionate individuals who share in our agency values of Respect, Caring, Integrity, Growth, and Team Work:
- Respect – We treat people with dignity.
- Caring – We show compassion and act thoughtfully.
- Integrity – We adhere to high standards.
- Growth – We foster innovation and continuous development.
- Team Work – We collaborate and celebrate.
Role Purpose & Responsibilities
The Development Associate, Marketing and Operations reports to the Associate Director, Individual Giving and serves a key role in implementing a comprehensive development program and strategies to ensure funding that will serve Housing Families. This position will also work alongside the Associate Director, Grants & Contracts and Chief Executive Officer/Development Director.
The Development Associate is primarily responsible for the management of Housing Families social media and communications as well as daily Development operations functions.
The Development Associate will also support the Development team on marketing, events, and campaigns including off-site community events, fundraising collateral content, and/or other fundraising and marketing activities.
- Works with the Development team to determine solicitation strategies for increased community, foundation, corporate and individual support
- Supports marketing and annual fundraising communications, including annual campaigns and regular appeals to individual donors through email campaigns, social media posts, and print materials
- In partnership with the Development Team and external agency partner, manage Housing Families’ social media and external communications, including designing and implementing monthly communications and social media strategy (including LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, email campaigns)
- Perform research on current benchmark trends and audience preferences
- Generate, edit, publish and share engaging content daily (e.g. original text, photos, videos and news), including fundraising campaign content
- Ensure brand consistency
- Communicate with followers and respond to queries in a timely manner
- Provide support to ensure the successful execution of major fundraising and cultivations events throughout the year
- Manage operational aspects of the Development Department, which include Raiser’s Edge NXT gift entry, donor acknowledgements and processing, and donor outreach
- Point of contact and project manager for all Development in-kind drives, including the Backpack Drive and Holiday Drive
- Adhere to ethical and confidentiality guidelines of the organization and donors
- Provide support for donor relations efforts with a focus on donor retention
- All other assigned duties as they arise
Qualifications / Requirements
- Committed to using the Principles of Community-Centric Fundraising (CCF) and ethical storytelling in all aspects of fundraising, including intentionally incorporating the principles in our communications and language around the clients we serve
- The ideal candidate will be successful in working with people from broadly diverse ethnic, economic, social and cultural backgrounds, have strong interpersonal skills, as well as a culturally competent approach to soliciting and telling the stories of the individuals and families we serve
- Experience in website, copywriting, and/or social media management
- Experience successfully soliciting donations and/or sales experience
- Detailed-oriented and organized outlook with ability to oversee multiple projects from origin through on-time execution
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure, both individually and within a team
- Sensitivity to the challenges of low-income families and individuals
- Knowledge of issues relating to housing equity, food insecurity, and health and wellness helpful but not required
- 3-4 years experience in nonprofit fundraising
- Bachelors’ degree in communications, marketing, nonprofit management, writing or comparable field preferred
- Equivalent combination of formal education and related experience may be substituted for degree
- Maturity and ability to protect confidential and sensitive information
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with CRM software (BlackBaud software [Raiser’s Edge] preferred)
- Excellent communication and engagement skills
- Attention to detail and time management
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and community-centric fundraising
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing to travel in the Greater Boston area
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be willing to work 40 hours per week, and adapt schedule as needed for work-related events when necessary, including some early morning and evening commitments
- Hybrid remote work schedules are available with manager approval following a successful 90-day introductory period
Applications / Compensation
- Benefits: Medical, Dental and Retirement Plan
- Please send a cover letter and resume to: HR@housingfamilies.org
- Please include “Development Associate” in the subject line.
- 40 hours per week
- Salary range: $50,000-$55,000